[Heb-NACO] generic name title authorities?

Nancy Sack sack at hawaii.edu
Wed Oct 22 19:51:46 EDT 2014

There is a proposal by the National Library of New Zealand to the JSC
"to clarify the situations in which a conventional collective title must
be assigned to works by a single author." You can read the proposal and
comments here: http://www.rda-jsc.org/working2.html#chair-615.

The British Library actually opposes the proposal because it believes
"that the existing wording [of RDA 6.2.2.10] is adequate. A compilation
of works “known by a title that is used in resources embodying that
compilation or in references works” makes it clear that a title used on
the resource should be preferred to a conventional collective title."

That's the way I've been interpreting the RDA instruction as well.

Nancy

On 10/21/2014 1:41 PM, Robert M. TALBOTT wrote:
> Folks:
>
> I just ran into an RDA name title authority set up for two works, to wit
>
> [name]. $t Poems. $k Selections
> [name]. $t Work 1
> [name]. $t Work 2
>
> I was under the impression that the above was a thing of the past and
> that RDA insisted upon the following:
>
> record 1
> [name]. $t Poems. $k Selections
> [name]. $t Work 1
>
> record 2
> [name]. $t Poems. $k Selections (distinguishing term)
> [name]. $t Work 2
>
> Am I wrong?  Are both situations possible?

> --
> Bob Talbott
> Principal cataloger/Hebraica cataloger
> UC Berkeley