[Heb-NACO] Choueka

Taub, Aaron atau at loc.gov
Wed Mar 26 13:14:46 EDT 2014

Dear Shoshanah,

I checked the NAR for Daniyel Tevito (no2009142261).  In that case, the 670 states “voc.” so presumably there was explicit vocalization of the Hebrew that directed the cataloger to establish the heading that way.  If the cataloger knows of the “correct” Latin alphabet form and there is no vocalization provided in the text, then the cataloger can romanize with that knowledge in mind.  Admittedly, this isn’t always easy since there has to be some adherence to the found Hebrew and the Hebrew rarely neatly approximates the Latin form.  But the cataloger always has flexibility.

In the case that Neil cites, I would go with Shuekah (dot under the kuf).

Best wishes,
Aaron