[Heb-NACO] Choueka

Manuel Frau-Cortes nfrau at umd.edu
Fri Mar 21 10:25:34 EDT 2014

Hi all,

I am having problems transcribing a 245. It’s about R. Aharon Choueka (1897-1978). In Hebrew it is written שויקה. The common pronunciation of the name has always been Shoo-eh-kah, and therefore the vav and the yud are matres lectionis, not semi-consonants in any way. Yet I am finding bibs with transcriptions like Shuyekah, which probably are correct according to the rule, but make no sense scientifically speaking, not to mention the fact that they are of no use to most patrons.

Your thoughts? Can common sense and known pronunciation bend the rules?

Of course, I also found records with Shavikah, Shvikah, and Shvekah, but those are just mistakes.

Shabbat shalom,

Neil M. Frau-Cortes

Judaica, Hebraica and Metadata Cataloger
McKeldin Library
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742
Phone (301) 405-9337