[Heb-NACO] Fwd: [RDA-L] Re: RE: Re: Title translated by the publisher

Heidi G Lerner lerner at stanford.edu
Thu Aug 7 12:26:42 EDT 2014

FYI - interesting discussion below. I am not quite understanding the issue. Works that contain a parallel title do not have to contain expressions of the original resource in other other languages. I work mostly with monographs and some serials and many of these have what RDA defines as a parallel title proper"The title proper in another language and/or script." RDA also tells us in 2.3.2 that we can take the title from any source in the resource. As we know these can be found on title page verso, added title page, caption, running title, cover title.

There has been some confusion on how to code and where to put the parallel title in a MARC environment. In RDA mapping to MARC we put the parallel title proper in a 245 field. However we are also told to provide a note in RDA 2.3.3. "If a parallel title proper is taken from a different source than the title proper, and that fact is considered important for identification, make a note on the source." To the best of my knowledge we are not given specific instruction in the form of an LC-PCC PS on where to locate this note and up until the present time most of us have been doing it in a MARC 246 field:

246 31 - Parallel title

246 15 Added title page title.

246 14 Cover title

and so on.

Ultimately we want to think about what is clearest for the patron while staying true to RDA. They might not understand the concept of a parallel title and providing access to that title combined with a note that clearly indicates where on the resource that title is located is certainly a help instead of a hindrance.

I look forward to comments on my thoughts.

Best, Heidi