[Heb-NACO] Yiddish cataloging

Robert M. TALBOTT rtalbott at library.berkeley.edu
Mon Apr 7 12:27:55 EDT 2014

I can't speak for anyone else, but when it comes to Yiddish I always
include vernacular parallel fields for title, edition, publisher, and 1xx
and 7xx control points.  I have seen vernacular with nikud, but do not use
it.  I also try to normalize variant spellings (when I spot them) with
Weinreich-approved added title entries.

Since Yiddish has converted some of the characters to full-time vowel
status, I would say that your "title vocalized" note is inappropriate in a
Yiddish context since the words are always contain explicit vowels (though
not always patahs or kamatses beneath the alefs)

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 8:43 AM, Freedman, Vanessa <v.freedman at ucl.ac.uk>wrote:

>  I always include the original script for Yiddish as well as Hebrew
> materials. I have seen records both with and without nekudot (which don't
> always appear in Yiddish materials). I always delete them as they don't
> display properly in our system and might mess up the indexing as well. I
> don't put in a note.
>

> Vanessa
>

> Vanessa Freedman
>
> Hebrew & Jewish Studies Librarian
>
> UCL Library Services
>
> University College London
>
> Gower Street
>
> London WC1E 6BT
>

> Tel: +44 (0) 20 7679 2598 (Internal ext. 32598)
>
> Fax: +44 (0) 20 7679 7373
>
> E-mail: v.freedman at ucl.ac.uk
>
> Twitter: @UCLHJSLibrary @vrfreedman
>
> Website: www.ucl.ac.uk/library
>

> **Please remember the environment and only print this if necessary**

Bob Talbott
Hebraica Cataloger
UC Berkeley
250 Moffitt