[Heb-NACO] Romanization: ayin lamed zayin vav zayin

Robert M. TALBOTT rtalbott at library.berkeley.edu
Tue May 14 12:59:32 EDT 2013

Folks:

A pair of queries:

1)  I have a sad little seder selihot here at my desk and it purports to be
ke-minhag [ayin lamed zayin vav zayin].  One the one hand, I'm pretty sure
that string of letters refers to Alsace.  On the other, I can only guess at
how it's vocalized.  OCLC has "Elzuz" but I suspect this is not the 'droid
I was looking for.  Please, if you have clue (and you just might!) let me
know before I have to guess.

2) Hebrew language gazetteers for a place other than Israel.  Surely they
must exist.  If anyone has a recommendation, I'd be grateful.

Cheers

Bob Talbott
Hebraica Cataloger
UC Berkeley