[Heb-NACO] Hebrew dates in RDA records

Biella, Joan jbie at loc.gov
Thu Jan 17 10:50:23 EST 2013

Like AACR2, RDA doesn't give any advice on formulating nonroman fields or recording dates expressed in nonroman forms.  This being the case, LC is continuing to record them as we did under AACR2--that is, we don't make any attempt to record the letters-used-as-numerals kind of Hebrew date, but just "translate" those dates into Western-style numerals, in both roman and nonroman fields.  As there is no instruction telling us how to do this, I suppose it is optional for other libraries to do it differently.  So in your example we would give "773 [2012 or 2013]."