[Heb-NACO] uniform title for Sefer ha-Zohar 'al Iyov

Kuperman, Aaron akup at loc.gov
Mon Dec 9 17:59:39 EST 2013

If the work is a compilation of pasages in the Zohar on a subject (in this case, Iyov), the authority record is questionable, as that NAF suggests the existence of a book of Iyov in the Zohar.  For a compilation on a subject drawn from a larger work or genre, the 100 probably should be the compiler, and if there is a heading for the work other than what appears on the work, I suspect it would be in the form of :   Zohar. Selection (Iyov)  .   The pattern for how it is treated would be any other work discussing a subject (Moses in the Talmud, Women in the Zohar, Sex in the Bible, etc.).

Note that I am just kibbitzing but I suggest that this be looked at since we would look very silly if we catalogers are found to have discovered a long lost Book of Iyov in the Zohar that no one had heard of previously. We don't want to be compared to Moses de León!

Aaron

Aaron Kuperman, LC Law Cataloging Section.
This is not an official communication from my employer