[Heb-NACO] Shut: Infering vernacular. Ravah vs. Rav. h.

Robert Talbott rtalbott at library.berkeley.edu
Fri Apr 26 13:42:57 EDT 2013

Heidi, Joan, the rest of you:

I'm working my way through an authority for Malki'el Tsevi ha-Levi
Tenenboim, and I've come up against a couple of issues rating communal
advice.

1) On the peice in hand, I hand a vernacular form for the authors full
name (Malki'el Tsevi ha-Levi Tenenboim).  In LC's on-line database there
is a romanized variant usage for which I do not have a vernacular form
(Malki'el Tsevi ha-Levi). Malki'el Tsevi ha-Levi is obviously making an
encore 4000n appearance in my authority, but is it legal to make a
parallel x-ref for the vernacular if I don't have an explicit vernacular
form?  Or is it permitted to infer/decode/rearrange based on the
vernacular on my piece in-hand?

2) Mr. Malkiel is titled resh bet heh (without gershayim) shel Lomzah.
I take this to be rashe tevot for rav ha-kadosh, but since it's written
without gershayim, how should it be romanized?  I keep going back and
forth between rav h. and ravah.  I saw nothing in ES (the big red one,
c2003).

Cheers and happy Friday

Bob