[Heb-NACO] period of activity and the 046

Heidi G Lerner lerner at stanford.edu
Mon Oct 22 16:30:57 EDT 2012

Hi Bob,

 I did check DCM Z1 under MARC Field 046 and the guidelines state:

"For probable, uncertain, and approximated dates use the Extended Date Time Format (EDTF) schema, specifying that source in subfield $2 (edtf).  See date table in LCPS 9.3.1.3 .

 Evidently $s does not just apply to corporate bodi es but also peopls as in the example provided:

046 ## $s -0199~ $2 edtf
100 0# $a Hellanicus $c (Grammarian),$d active approximately 200 B.C.
670 ## $a Brill's new Pauly online, Aug. 2, 2011 $b (Hellanicus; Alexandrian grammarian; ca. 200 BC)

Based on the above and how I think it would be constructed according to EDTF is:

ǂs[1843,1844]~ ǂ2edtf

If others think that it should be done another way, I am very happy to learn.

Thanks, Heidi