[Heb-NACO] Israeli Compound last names

Heidi G Lerner lerner at stanford.edu
Wed Jul 25 15:47:26 EDT 2012

Israeli practices and reference sources  would provide support for the form of entry the rules for which in A2 and RD are nearly identical. I don't think Yosi is implying that we also apply their cataloging codes.

AACR2 22.5C2. Preferred or established form known.   Enter a name containing a compound surname under the element by which the person bearing the name prefers to be entered. 7 If this is unknown, enter the name under the element under which it is listed in reference sources 8 in the person’s language or country of residence or activity.

In this case Yosi has found in the majority of cases in Israeli libraries the surname was entered under the first element.

22.5C3. Hyphenated surnames.   If the elements of a compound surname are regularly or occasionally hyphenated, enter under the first element (see also 22.5E1 ).

Her preferred form on her personal webpage has the compound name spelled with a hyphen.

* 22.5C5. Other compound surnames. Married women whose surname consists of surname before marriage and husband’s surname.   Enter under the first element of the compound surname (regardless of its nature) if the person’s language is Czech, French, Hungarian, Italian, or Spanish. In all other cases, enter under the husband’s surname. For hyphenated names, see 22.5C3

We do not have firm evidence that she is married; also there does exist a form of her name with a hyphen.

With this evidence I think that Yosi can fix the heading.

*Please note that RDA has removed removed the rules for compound names when applied  married women