[Csrfac] Fw: Upcoming Event from the Undergraduate Religious Studies Club

Dove, Sarah J. dove.76 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
Mon Mar 19 10:50:53 EDT 2018

Please see below for this exciting event from the Undergraduate Religious Studies Club!!

Associated Religious Studies Staff and Faculty,

The Undergraduate Religous Studies Club would like to invite you and your classes to attend an exciting event on March 22nd from 4:30-6:30 in Thompson Library Room 165. It is titled: "Meet a Raelian: Religion Revealed by Aliens?" Refreshments will be provided. A bit of background information on the Raelian Movement and on our speaker:

According to Raelian doctrine, on December 13 1973, French journalist Claude Vorilhon, now known as Rael, encountered an extraterrestrial who arrived on Earth via a UFO. Rael subsequently reports that the individual claimed to be a member of the Elohim, or the creators of Earth identified in the Hebrew Bible as God. Disavowing traditional notions of creationism or evolution, Rael was taught that our planet had been discovered and colonized by scientists from other planets, who designed and created humanity as we know it today. He went on to found the Raelian Movement – a new religious movement.

Larry Abdullah, DDS, is a spokesman for the US Raelian Movement, a graduate of the Raelian Happiness Academy, and leader of the One Minute for Peace Raelian meditation campaign in America. Dr. Abdullah will be joining us to provide insight into the controversial Raelian Movement and its followers, which has been lauded by believers for its universality and emphasis on kindness and criticized by others for its advocation of human cloning and the use of the swastika. Join us for what promises to be an intriguing look at the emergence of a contemporary religious movement.

We ask that you forward this information along to your students and any others that may be interested! Thank you!

-Jordan Baggs and The Undergraduate Religious Studies Club