[Comicsstudiessociety] April 19: Global Comics Lecture Series: Comics and the Humanization of the Middle Eastern Experience (Virtual Event)

Mike Rhode mrhode at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 15:10:20 EDT 2021

 Global Comics Lecture Series: Comics and the Humanization of the Middle
Eastern Experience (Virtual Event)

*April 19, 2021 2:00 PM - 3:30 PM*

https://library.osu.edu/events/global-comics-lecture-series-comics-and-the-humanization-of-the-middle-eastern-experience

Save to Calendar
<https://library.osu.edu/sites/default/files/ics/2021-04-19T15%3A30%3A00--af78422f-70d6-4f97-8e08-7cfada26803f.ics>
[image: https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://iasminomarata.com/illustration__;!!KGKeukY!gP25AzE09z95sx3IIy29GGAqUugQBmFQMM0gmzs0jljdzSFeRvQJhtD8Upg-8NsmrCvQRnmRMomb$ ]
<https://library.osu.edu/sites/default/files/2021-03/Iasmin%20Illustration.jpg>

In the world of Middle Eastern cartoons and graphic novels, the artists
often focus their discussions on politics, government, war, protesters,
etc., which are all important topics. Very few artists, however, address
the actual people who are living these experiences. Join International and
Area Studies at The Ohio State University Libraries for our next
installment of the Global Comics Lecture Series featuring Iasmin, a Middle
Eastern, Muslim, queer and trans comics artist, who will address:

   - Humanizing Middle Eastern people and our stories in a world that
   politicizes us, and how we can convey these things through comics
   - The intersection of queer, trans and Middle Eastern identities past,
   present and future, and the importance of representation in art
   - Healing trauma through comics (and art in general)

*About our Speaker*

Iasmin Omar Ata is a Middle Eastern, Muslim, queer and trans comic artist,
game developer and illustrator who creates art about coping with illness,
understanding identity, dismantling oppressive structures and Islamic
futurism.

Iasmin’s graphic novel *Mis(h)adra* has resonated with both readers and
reviewers alike for its searingly honest depiction of the epileptic lived
experience. Iasmin has produced a video game called *Being *about the
Palestinian past, present and future as well as other comics and games.
Iasmin is an Ignatz Award winner and Excellence in Graphic Literature Award
finalist. They have been interviewed and reviewed by Kirkus Publishers
Weekly, Electronic Intifada, Library Journal and NPR.