[Comicsstudiessociety] CFP: Comics Pedagogy and Southern Studies (SSSL, February 17-20, 2022)

Brannon Costello brannon.costello at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 11:26:00 EDT 2021

Call for Proposals

Society for the Study of Southern Literature

Biennial Conference

Atlanta, GA

February 17-20, 2022

*Lightning Panel: Comics Pedagogy and Southern Studies*

*Organized by Brannon Costello and Qiana Whitted*

Recent years have seen an explosion of comics—comic strips, comic books,
webcomics, and graphic novels—about the South. These comics have addressed
a diverse range of subjects in a wide variety of genres, including
autobiographical and historical explorations of the Civil Rights Movement,
rural noir thrillers, ecopocalyptic horror tales, and reprints of newspaper
comics strips both cherished and forgotten, among many others. What are the
challenges and opportunities involved in bringing such texts into our
courses? What aspects of comics form and history are most useful in
introducing, contextualizing, and analyzing books like these? How might the
study of a hybrid medium like comics lead us to reimagine our teaching of
prose, poetry, and film? Can the particular affordances of the comics
medium helpfully inform the way we teach the concept of “the South”?

We seek panelists to deliver 5-minute "lightning" presentations that
explore these questions, pose new ones, and generate a lively discussion
about the intersections between comics pedagogy and southern studies.
Panelists may wish to focus on teaching a particular comic set in the U.S.
South and/or Global South, or they may wish to focus on classroom
strategies for bringing southern studies approaches to comics not
traditionally understood as “southern.”  Tales of glorious success,
instructive failure, and everything in between are equally welcome.

Interested panelists should submit a 50-word proposal as well as a short
biography to the panel organizers, Brannon Costello (bcostell at lsu.edu) and
Qiana Whitted (whittedq at mailbox.sc.edu) by August 15, 2021.