[Comicsstudiessociety] USC Graduate Symposium

Aidan Diamond aidanddiamond at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 13:44:54 EST 2021

Dear scholars,

Apologies for the short notice and for cross-posting, but I thought some of you might be interested in the graduate symposium being held at the University of Southern California over the next two weeks. Entitled “(In)Visible Histories: Counterhistory, Race, and Visuality,” this virtual symposium follows Michel Foucault’s directive to uncover histories that have been “wickedly misrepresented,” and the work of scholars such as Saidiya Hartman and Christina Sharpe to reform archives that have been lost.

Of particular interest to comics scholars are the keynotes and closing conversation given by John Jennings and Qiana Whitted, but there is also a graduate student panel on comics. I’ve attached our symposium’s flier and program, and more information can be found at the Comparative Studies in Literature and Culture events page, here.

Professor Jennings’ keynote, entitled “Becoming the Data Thief: Notes on a Black Speculative Mythopoetic," is on Friday, February 19, at 3 PM Pacific. You must register to attend, and you may do so here.

Professor Whitted’s keynote, entitled “All-Negro Comics and Counterhistories of Race in the Golden Age,” is on Friday, February 26, at 3 PM Pacific. You must register to attend, and you may do so here.

Our closing event will be a conversation between Professor Jennings and Professor Whitted, on Friday, March 5, at 3 PM Pacific. You must register to attend, and you may do so here.

We hope you are able to join us!

All the best,
Aidan

Aidan Diamond
Ph.D. Student
Comparative Studies in Literature and Culture
Comparative Media and Culture
University of Southern California
aidandia at usc.edu