[Comicsstudiessociety] CFP: Lines of Resistance: Graphic Narratives and Activism

Can Yalcinkaya can.yalcinkaya at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 16:23:27 EST 2021

Dear all,

We are inviting contributions for a special issue of *Journal of Graphic
Novels and Comics*, on the theme of "Graphic Narratives and Activism",
edited by myself and my colleague Dr Justine Lloyd (Macquarie University,
Sydney, Australia)

The special issues builds upon the work we have done as part of a recent
exhibition, titled "Panels that Transform: Comics and Activism" at
Macquarie University Art Gallery, which featured the works of Australian
artists Safdar Ahmed, Nicky Minus and Sam Wallman, and an online symposium
we convened in November, titled "Lines of Resistance: Media, Arts and
Activism".

For this special issue, we are calling for submissions from artists,
activists and academics on the role of graphic storytelling in activist
movements. Potential contributors are welcome to consider the past, present
and the future of graphic activism across the globe. Case studies from
international contexts are encouraged. Submissions in the form of graphic
essays are also welcome. The themes could include but are not limited to:

- Comics Journalism and Activism
- Comics and Climate Change
- Anti-racist comics
- Comics and refugee narratives
- Comics and gender equality
- Mainstream superhero comics and progressive politics
- Graphic memoirs and the political/personal
- The activist potential of digital and webcomics
- Political comics anthologies and their community building potential
- Graphic scholarship and the intersection of art, academia and activism

Please see attached document or the link below for the full call for papers
information and submission and publication timelines.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://canyalcinkaya.net/cfp-lines-of-resistance/__;!!KGKeukY!ksooiAluF9jPhMBw9o4FD3f2NF6efFqAcxrhPVIOVI2ozQ_kM1MFIclcXGXkkePBF6Y-_DVN-jDn$

Please let me know if you have any queries.

Wishing you all the best for the new year.

Can