[Comicsstudiessociety] Call for Participants - Dissertation Research Project

Erika Chung erika.chung at ryerson.ca
Mon Aug 9 11:37:53 EDT 2021

Hi all,

My name is Erika Chung. I am Chinese Canadian, a comic book fan, and
currently a PhD candidate in the joint Communication and Culture program at
Ryerson University and York university. I am starting data collection for
my doctoral research on women of colour and their experiences in comic book
fan culture. I am looking for 10 to 15 research participants who identify
as women of colour and as comic book fans. Participants will be selected on
a first come first served basis. Interviews will take 45 to 60 minutes.
Interviews will be conducted through Zoom, and will also be recorded. Being
a comic book fan can include any of the following:

●      Reads comics on a regular basis

●      Pull-list at a comic book store or digital comic book subscription
service

●      Inspired by superhero film/TV to explore comic books

●      Views and/or follows online comic book fan accounts

●      Engages in an online fan community or with social media accounts
dedicated to comic books and related content

●      Participates in local comic book community/scene

●      Creates comics and/or comic book fan art/fiction/digital content

●      Attends at least 1-2 comic book related events (i.e.: conventions,
festivals, book clubs or get togethers online or in-person)

Please feel free to share the attached poster with your networks, or with
anyone you know who may be interested in participating. Anyone interested
or have questions are welcome to contact me through email:
erika.chung at ryerson.ca. Thanks so much for your time.

Best,

Erika
___
Erika Chung (she/her)
PhD Candidate - Communication and Culture
X University and York University
VP Communications (English) - Canadian Society for the Study of Comics