[Comicsstudiessociety] TCJ essay by Ryan Holmberg, "Comics against Confederates"

Charles Hatfield charles.hatfield at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 14:11:47 EDT 2020

Dear colleagues,

I'd like to call your attention to this IMO extraordinary piece of
reportage by Ryan Holmberg, up at *The Comics Journal *online (tcj.com):

http://www.tcj.com/comics-against-confederates-black-lives-matter-and-the-battle-for-graham-north-carolina/

This detailed, anecdotally rich essay (and interview) covers the protests
and counter-protests around the Confederate Soldiers Monument in Graham,
NC, and the activities of one community group, Forward Motion Alamance
(named for Alamance Country, NC), members of which have produced striking
pamphlets, zines, and comics. A remarkable work of on-the-ground political
journalism, from an art historian no less, and well worth your time if
you're interested in teaching or researching current comics as a means of
protest and community organizing.

(Coincidentally, I've just begun, as of last night, reading the new book by
the same author, Holmberg, *The Translator without Talent*, and it is a
treasure trove. Its introduction alone brims with interesting insights
about translation and the use of language and drawn sound effects in
comics. Highly recommended!
https://www.bubbleszine.com/product/the-translator-without-talent-by-ryan-holmberg
)

CH