[Comicsstudiessociety] "Reading Comics at the Threshold" - A Round Table on Letter Columns & Other Comics Paratexts -

Osvaldo Oyola themiddlespaces at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 17:01:46 EDT 2020

Hi all,

I think I used the wrong when I sent this earlier, so am trying again.
Forgive me it ends up a duplicate!

But just wanted to drop a line to let you all know that all three parts of
The Middle Spaces round table on Letter Columns & Other Comics Paratexts –
“Reading Comics at the Threshold” (co-edited by Leah Misemer) are now live.
You can see a breakdown of subjects and links to all three parts below)

Part One: Tuesday, September 15th
https://themiddlespaces.com/2020/09/15/reading-comics-at-the-threshold-part-
1/

*     “Overlooked Gems” – An introduction to the round table by Leah Misemer

*     Laura Antola – “How do letters pages in translated versions of
superhero comics mediate the adaptation process?"

*     Stephen Connor – “How do letters to war comics reflect mixed on-going
cultural attitudes towards ‘the enemy?’”

*     David Beard – “How did comics letter columns work to establish comics
as an adult medium?"

*     Margaret Galvan – “How can reader letters visualize community?"

Part Two: Tuesday, September 22nd
https://themiddlespaces.com/2020/09/22/reading-comics-at-the-threshold-part-
2/

*     Briana Anderson – “How can paratexts both reinforce and disrupt the
marginalization of minority voices?"

*     Mark Hibbet – “How do readers understand the different ways that
characters behave when they appear in both the text and paratext of the same
comic?"

*     Jean-Matthieu Méon - “What do their peritexts tell us about the early
‘graphic novels?’”

Part Three: Tuesday, September 29th
https://themiddlespaces.com/2020/09/29/reading-comics-at-the-threshold-part-
3/

*     Charlotte Fabricius – “Why are some serial comic plot summaries
disguised as social media and who are they for?"

*     Aaron Kashtan – “How does Unbeatable Squirrel Girl’s use of paratexts
help it appeal to young readers?"

*     Adrienne Resha – “Are hashtags the next phase of evolution for letters
columns?"

*     Kalervo Sinervo – “How do we begin to contextualize comics paratexts
within the endless and invisible iterability of the Internet?"

Links on the posts lead to the contributors’ full bios.

Shares/Comments/Responses are welcome! And thanks to everyone who has read
and shared and we’d love to know if anyone ends up making use of any of this
in teaching or their own work!

- Osvaldo Oyola

Editor, The Middle Spaces