[Comicsstudiessociety] [EXTERNAL] Re: Introduction

Andrew O'Malley aomalley at ryerson.ca
Wed Nov 18 14:19:59 EST 2020

Well, I don't want to feel left out, so I'll introduce myself, too!
I'm a professor in the English Department at Ryerson University in Toronto,
where I teach courses primarily in comics, children's literature and
culture, and once in a while on the 18th century. In the summer of 2019, I
had the pleasure and privilege of co-Chairing, with Candida Rifkind, the
CSS conference at my home institution.
My doctoral training is in childhood and children's lit in the 18th
century, but I've been a lifelong fan of comics and am glad I have had the
opportunity to do some work in the field. I'm interested in children and/in
comics. My first foray into comics scholarship was a co-authored article on
*Persepolis* (with my partner, Nima Naghibi) from 2005, which looked
at, among other things, Satrapi's child avatar.
Right now, my main research focus is on pre-code comics from the 1940s and
50s - crime and horror particularly - and their child readers. I've been
plugging away on and off for several years on a digital archive and
exhibition dedicated to how the comics controversy of the mid 20th century
was underwritten by anxieties over childhood 'innocence'. One day I'll
finish it, but here's the link if you want to take a look:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://crisisofinnocence.library.ryerson.ca/__;!!KGKeukY!h-EvM4m1rz4tITTb1RkQ4WBRZMeL5zNUMIrEed5tNXD-PRHR_Qs6RfSAhMO-ReSvUZy_MGn1o0G6$
Take care everybody!
Andrew