[Comicsstudiessociety] Introduction

Keith F kfriedlander000 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 16:33:32 EST 2020

Hi everyone,

It's been so nice reading everyone's introduction emails! Some of you I
know from conferences or Twitter, but I've really been able to learn a lot
of new things from this thread, and it's good to feel a sense of community.

As for myself, I teach communications at Olds College in Alberta. Olds is
one of the country's older agriculture colleges, so my students tend to
work in animal health, agriculture, equine sciences, horticulture, and a
range of business programs. My doctoral dissertation focused on British
Romanticism and 19th-century literature, but I gradually transitioned to
comics studies, mainly because I found the academic culture of Brit Lit to
be rather exclusionist and competitive. My current research focuses on two
areas: production culture in the comic industry and gender/sexuality in
superhero comics. My latest work is a chapter on counterpublics, queer
community, and sexuality in *Young Avengers* coming out in December as part
Anna Peppard's *Supersex* anthology from U of Texas Press. My current
research project (which is honestly in a bit of a holding pattern right
now) concerns the role of artist-run studios in combatting wage suppression
and organizing labour.

Also, I am the new president of the Canadian Society for the Study of
Comics, which just released our call for papers
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://comics-scholars.com/wp/?p=853__;!!KGKeukY!lrmtI4iwcBeDV7Df1HrK70Nk-Sq2tPCViwyNSVjJkYmLBoZ7WAnrTqPpD9syDLjp9hSCf2Fht7Cd$ >last week for our 2021 online
conference (hahaha, cross society promotions!). Hoping we'll get some new
faces this year with the online format!

Best,
Keith

*Keith Friedlander, PhD*

Instructor, Communications
Werklund School of Agriculture Technology
Olds College
4500 - 50 Street
Olds, AB  T4H 1R6

Tel: 403-556-7776 <(403)%20556-7776>
E-mail: kfriedlander at oldscollege.ca

<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.oldscollege.ca__;!!KGKeukY!lrmtI4iwcBeDV7Df1HrK70Nk-Sq2tPCViwyNSVjJkYmLBoZ7WAnrTqPpD9syDLjp9hSCfwDXjLw0$ >

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 5:53 AM Michael Torregrossa, Saving the Day:
Accessing Comics in the Twentieth-first Century via ComicsStudiesSociety <