[Comicsstudiessociety] Adapting a Disability in Comics seminar to online delivery

Charles Hatfield charles.hatfield at gmail.com
Wed May 13 14:12:43 EDT 2020

CSS listers, I'm eager to have your feedback on a new teaching challenge:

My school, CSU Northridge, has just announced that almost all classes this
fall will be online only (and that certainly includes classes in my
discipline, English). I'll be reviving my grad course on Disability in
Comics then, last taught in Spring 2017 (see attached syllabus in PDF).
This will be the first time I've taught a grad seminar online, which I view
as both challenge and opportunity. I'm interested in revising the course
for three reasons:

1. I note that some of the required books in the attached (at least
Forney's *Marbles*, Green's *Binky Brown*, and David B.'s *Epileptic*) are
not commercially available in ebook format. My hope is to use only texts
that can be made available digitally, either commercially or through free
resources such as the public library Hoopla app (I have e-versions of
*Binky* and of Al Davison's *Spiral Cage* that I expect to post on the
class's private Canvas site). I'll also refer students to the printed
versions of the books, for those who would like them, but ebook
availability is a priority.

2. This would be a good chance to pick a few new, more recent readings.
Free readings in the form of webcomics would be especially helpful.

3. I'm wondering how to shift the course's original modus (weekly Canvas
posts; weekly discussion-facilitating by student leaders) into the online
realm effectively, assuming a wholly asynchronous delivery (apart from
drop-in Zoom office hours). For example, what sort of tools/guidelines
might be helpful for discussion leaders in that realm?

Fortunately, my school's library has ebook versions of some essential
scholarly texts, e.g. *Keywords for Disability Studies*; Alaniz's *Death,
Disability, and the Superhero*; Smith, Alaniz, et al.'s *Uncanny Bodies*.
We'll tap into those.

Any thoughts on the above, or on the attached syllabus? Your
recommendations and critical insights eagerly sought!

CH