[Comicsstudiessociety] Hopkins Press Grants Free Access to Journals, E-books

Mike Rhode mrhode at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 21:52:09 EDT 2020

 Hopkins Press Grants Free Access to Journals, E-books
By John Maher |
Mar 18, 2020
https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/publisher-news/article/82731-hopkins-other-ups-grant-free-access-to-journals-books.html

Photo: Flickr/Ted Simpson

The Johns Hopkins monument on the university's Homewood campus.

Johns Hopkins University press will make 1,400 books and 97 journals
accessible for free
<http://www.press.jhu.edu/news/announcements/jhup-announces-free-access-its-journals-and-books-project-muse-during-covid-19>
for the remainder of the spring semester to both students and the general
public via the Project MUSE platform—the latest in a number of university
presses making similar arrangements.

Starting March 18, all JHU Press content currently hosted on the Project
MUSE platform will be freely available to readers worldwide until at least
May 31. Other presses who have taken similar steps are Ohio State
University Press (all books and journals), University of Nebraska Press
(all books and journals), University of North Carolina Press (all books),
Temple University Press (all books), and Vanderbilt University Press
(selected books). MUSE expects to announce new participants and will
continually update a list of publishers offering free access to content
<https://about.muse.jhu.edu/resources/freeresourcescovid19/>.

“Serving the needs of libraries, publishers, and scholars has been core to
the MUSE mission since day one,” said Wendy Queen, the director of Project
MUSE. “The global Covid-19 pandemic has resulted in enormous and rapid
changes to the lives of all our constituents, with the need to adapt daily
to new methods of communicating and working. MUSE is grateful for the
opportunity to support our community through this crisis, as a hub to
connect users and the content they need, from wherever they can.”

The move represents one of many major changes in strategy among publishers
of all kinds in response to the Covid-19 global pandemic. It is only the
latest major action taken by Johns Hopkins University as a whole in
response to the novel coronavirus; the school's Center for Health Security
<http://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org/newsroom/> is currently one of the
most consistent and factual sources of current information on the pandemic,
and offers a daily newsletter with updates
<http://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org/newsroom/newsletters/e-newsletter-sign-up.html>
for those hoping to keep abreast of the situation.

“Access to the best research and scholarship is essential for students
completing their studies, for faculty members in their teaching and
research, for policy makers weighing critical decisions, and for health
professionals working to save lives,” JHU Press director Barbara Kline Pope
wrote in a message to the JHU Press community. “It is comforting and
empowering during this uncertain time to do everything we can to stay true
to our mission and to help each other navigate unprecedented challenges to
daily life—including being a student and conducting research.”