[Comicsstudiessociety] Kunlze reprints still available

Mike Rhode mrhode at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 11:37:55 EDT 2020

These are high-quality photocopies, originally compiled by Lionel English,
who contacted his former employer to check on them:

We still have these. They can send an email to montezuma at aztecmail.com to
order.

[image: The Early Comic Strip - Part I cover]

*THE EARLY COMIC STRIP - PART I: NARRATIVE STRIPS AND PICTURE STORIES IN
THE EUROPEAN BROADSHEET FROM C.1450 TO 1825 (PAPERBACK EDITION)*

By David Kunzle

*Suggested retail $52.49*

ISBN: 978-0-7442-1450-5
480 pages
Published 1973

This book is intended as a history or pre-history of an artistic Phenomenon
which is part pictorial and part literary, and known to the
English-speaking world variously as "comic strip," "comic," "comic book,"
"strip cartoon," and the "funnies." This volume is primarily a corpus of
all the broadsheets which can be classified as picture stories and thus as
ancestors of the modern strip up to 1826.
------------------------------

[image: The Early Comic Strip - Part II: The Nineteenth Century (Paperback
Edition)]

*THE EARLY COMIC STRIP - PART II: THE NINETEENTH CENTURY (PAPERBACK
EDITION)*

By David Kunzle

*Suggested retail $52.49*

ISBN: 978-0-7442-1452-9
414 pages
Published 1990

This is the second volume of Kunzle's rather ambitious plan to provide a
history of the comic strip. It covers the flowering of the comic strip in
19th-century Europe, from the pioneers (Topffer, Hogarth, Cruikshank) to
the later, popular caricaturists (Cham, Busch, Petit) and also details the
magazines they appeared in. Kunzle's aim is to present this artistic form
to an audience unfamiliar with it.