[Comicsstudiessociety] [EXTERNAL] Re: Decolonising Comics Studies

Tullis, Brittany tullisbrittanyn at sau.edu
Wed Jul 31 16:30:41 EDT 2019

As someone who studies and writes about Latin/x American comics, I share
these concerns and would also like to see the field embrace the study of
comics from other countries/traditions/languages more fully. As Charles
notes, this is something that conference organizers can work towards (ICAF,
I would note, has had the study of international comics at the core of what
we do since 1995 - if you're interested in these issues and haven't ever
been to or presented at the conference, I'd encourage you to submit a
proposal the next time we send out a call). CSS, as Charles notes, also
included a number of panels at Ryerson that worked towards this goal of
decolonizing the field.

In order for this kind of inclusion to be meaningful, however, there must
be a commitment on the part of those of you who study anglophone or
francophone or manga comics to engage with the scholars and scholarship
that do this. These kinds of panels are almost always among the most
lightly attended, probably because folks aren't reading and teaching the
comics that are being discussed.

Perhaps what the field needs is for people to start reading and teaching
more comics beyond the categories that you mention, Phil. Collaborating
with (or even simply asking questions of) scholars who speak other
languages and reading and citing English-language scholarship about comics
in other languages are two great ways to begin, and I appreciate you
encouraging our intellectual community to do so.

For my part, if anyone has any interest in any Spanish-language comics that
have been translated into English - or US Latinx titles originally
published in English - either for your own reading or for teaching
purposes, I'd be happy to start working on a list to share with our members.

Best,
Brittany

Brittany Tullis, PhD
Associate Professor and Chair
Department of Modern Languages and Cultures
St. Ambrose University
Academic Director, International Comic Arts Forum
http://www.internationalcomicartsforum.org
2nd Vice President, Comics Studies Society
http://comicssociety.org
Fulbright Program Advisor/Scholar Liaison
https://us.fulbrightonline.org
Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Advisor
https://www.iie.org/programs/gilman-scholarship-program