[Comicsstudiessociety] Decolonising Comics Studies

Charles Hatfield charles.hatfield at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 13:03:05 EDT 2019

Dear Phil,

Thank you for raising this issue, following up on the urgent questions
posed by Nina Mickwitz's excellent presentation last Saturday. I especially
appreciate the concreteness and pragmatism of your recommendations (Nina
had asked, in effect, *What can we actually do?*). As it happens, I have
begun raising this issue with CSS officers in the hopes that the Society
will take concrete steps toward decolonial and more fully inclusive
programming as a regular practice. There will surely be practical hurdles
to the implementation of such changes, but together we as a society can
work to overleap those obstacles.

COMICS/POLITICS provided a number of good examples of what decolonial
conference programming can look like: e.g., the Indigenous Comics panel
last Thursday; the roundtable on feminist comics of the Baltic Sea region
on Saturday. I hope every year's CSS conference will include such
programming, allied where possible to journal symposia or other publication
projects. Further, I hope that Phil's wise suggestions can be encouraged
and implemented through such programming.

CH