[Comicsstudiessociety] Videos of guest speakers on Indigenous comics at UWinnipeg

Candida Rifkind c.rifkind at uwinnipeg.ca
Wed Dec 4 10:51:58 EST 2019

Hi there. Since some of you asked if they will be recorded, I wanted to let you know that we have now posted video links to the guest speakers for the One Book U Winnipeg program organized around the Indigenous comics anthology, This Place: 150 Years Retold.

Cole Pauls gave an extended version of his CSS Ryerson 2019 talk about how his family, community, and elders helped him create the Dakwakada Warriors.

Graphic novelist David Alexander Robertson gave a powerful talk about growing up Cree in a small town, where bullying, combined with racist images in comics, inspired him to tell stories in his own voice.

The other videos are more specific to This Place, and may be of interest to anyone working with it. There is a good discussion of what "Indigenous futurism" means by Chelsea Vowel in the panel discussion.

All videos are available at the One Book UW website and will remain archived there: https://www.uwinnipeg.ca/1b19/video-archive.html

Thanks,

Candida

Candida Rifkind, PhD

Professor | Department of English | University of Winnipeg

515 Portage Ave., Winnipeg, Manitoba R3B 2E9 CANADA
@candidarifkind | www.candidarifkind.com<http://www.candidarifkind.com> | uwinnipeg.ca/english<https://www.uwinnipeg.ca/english/index.html>

President | Comics Studies Society

http://comicssociety.org/

Co-Editor | Crossing Lines: Transcultural/Transnational Comics Studies

Wilfrid Laurier University Press
https://www.wlupress.wlu.ca/

The University of Winnipeg is in Treaty One territory

and the land on which we gather is the traditional territory

of Anishinaabeg, Cree, Oji-Cree, Dakota, and Dene Peoples,

and the homeland of the Métis Nation.