[Comicsstudiessociety] Resources on teaching difficult knowledge & trauma comics

Candida Rifkind c.rifkind at uwinnipeg.ca
Wed Aug 21 17:59:19 EDT 2019

Hi there. I'm putting together some resources for colleagues who are fairly new to teaching comics and are participating in a university-wide reading program on the Indigenous comics collection This Place: 150 Years Retold.

In our instructors' workshop today, we were asked to share resources on teaching difficult comics (representations of genocide, trauma, oppression, racism, sexual violence) in relation to managing students' responses (both Indigenous and non-Indigenous) to material that can be difficult to process, especially in an academic setting.

I have a few quite relevant sources, and don't need a massive list, but am wondering if anyone on the list has written something or can recommend a few more sources to help instructors working with this kind of material for the first time?

I'd prefer sources that aren't too specific to one text, but that offer practical steps for the classroom. Here's what I have so far:

Pam Palmater, "Why Do Indigenous Topics Cause Such Discomfort" (YouTube)

Courtney Donovan and Ebru Ustundag, "Graphic Narratives, Trauma and Social Justice" https://doi.org/10.26522/ssj.v11i2.1598

Leigh Gilmore, "What Do We Teach When We Teach Trauma?" in Teaching Life Writing Texts<https://www.mla.org/Publications/Bookstore/Options-for-Teaching/Teaching-Life-Writing-Texts>

Sarah Brophy (2017) Learning with The 500 Years of Resistance Comic Book in a Cultural Studies Course, a/b: Auto/Biography Studies, 32:1, 106-111, DOI: 10.1080/08989575.2017.1241514<https://doi.org/10.1080/08989575.2017.1241514>

Thanks,

Candida

Candida Rifkind, PhD
Professor | Department of English | University of Winnipeg
515 Portage Ave., Winnipeg, Manitoba R3B 2E9 CANADA
www.candidarifkind.com<http://www.candidarifkind.com/> | uwinnipeg.ca/english<https://www.uwinnipeg.ca/english/index.html>

President | Comics Studies Society
http://comicssociety.org/

The University of Winnipeg is in Treaty One territory
and the land on which we gather is the traditional territory
of Anishinaabeg, Cree, Oji-Cree, Dakota, and Dene Peoples,
and the homeland of the Métis Nation.