[Comicsstudiessociety] A New Funding Opportunity for Translating German Comics

Biz Nijdam elizabeth.nijdam at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 07:47:36 EDT 2019

Hi!

In light of the recent conversation at the Comics Studies Society
conference regarding the importance of translating international comics, I
thought I would share this project that I'm part of with the Goethe
Institute in Germany.

The *Books First Campaign*, funded by the German government, hopes to
encourage the American and Canadian publishing of German comics and graphic
novels through generous financial contributions to their translation,
lettering and printing.

I'm attaching the Reader we recently published to this email via a Google
Drive link. It contains the reviews, author information and excerpts of our
15 selected German comics. For more information, please see the Books
Campaign website: https://www.goethe.de/en/kul/lit/ser/lit/bof/red.html

*All titles featured in the Reader receive a guaranteed translation grant
of 35 Euro per standard page plus a flat rate of 1000 Euro for the
lettering.*

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me or the
project manager of the Books First Campaign Hannah Brennhäußer (
Hannah.Brennhaeusser at goethe.de).

Best wishes from Berlin,

Biz
 Book First Campaign - German Comics.pdf
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/16SLzGA_FnWs82rlDlkNFexY3RDpZsuvP/view?usp=drive_web>

--
Elizabeth "Biz" Nijdam
Assistant Professor, Department of Central, Eastern and Northern European

Pronouns: she, her, hers