exp 14 and 16 on-line pre and post-lab instructions and specific problems

Zellmer, Robert zellmer.1 at osu.edu
Tue Mar 8 10:00:18 EST 2022

Exp 14 and 16 have an on-line pre-lab and post-lab data-entry.  You've done
some of these already for previous exps.  I've noticed some people still having
problems with them.  You need to make sure you read the general instructions
and the instructions at the "Instructions" button at the top of these on-line
programs.

In exp 14 on-line data entry pre-lab there are some question choices which
are  quite long.  The choices come up in a box.  The box might extend beyond
the window you have.  This doesn't seem to be a problem in Firefox or
Chrome running on my PCs (running Win 10).  It seems it may be a problem on
a Mac.  Try it with the browser window full screen. Hopefully this works.  I can't
test it as I don't have a Mac. I can't tell you whether this will work correctly on the
iPad, even in Firefox, since I haven't tried it.

I will reiterate what I've said before.  Use FIREFOX.  The instructions tell you to
do so and we won't address problems with data entry and points lost due to using
a different browser.

A number such as "0.222" MUST entered as "0.222", not ".222".  I've tried a
".222" in Firefox in a box.  As soon as I did this and clicked in a new box, the
previous box was outlined in red to let me know there was a problem.  This
behavior (the box being outlined) does not occur in Chrome.

In both Firefox and Chrome, if a drop-down box choice hasn't been made or
the format for a number is wrong they will complain and tell you where the
problem is when you try to submit the form.  I can not verify this in Safari on
a Mac or in either Chrome or Firefox on a Mac since I don't have a Mac. I'm
not sure about the iPad using Safari.  Again, we've stated you should be using
Firefox.

I've got a few follow-up e-mails to send about sig. fig. in logarithms
and other things concerning exp 14.

Dr. Zellmer