exp 5 - preparing your notebook

Zellmer, Robert zellmer.1 at osu.edu
Wed Jan 26 10:10:23 EST 2022

I sent this info about preparing the notebook before exp 1 so this should just be a reminder.

1) Resources for Notebook and Report:

    A good source for what should go in the notebook and report with an example (manual
    pages, notebook example and report example) can be found at,

    OSU Chemistry Undergraduate Laboratory Server - Very useful<https://uglabs.cbc.osu.edu/>

    There you will find a Chem 1250 link and once there you will find several useful links
    about lab skills, lab notebook and report.  I do have links to the Notebook and Report
    pages at this site and my "Laboratory" link and below.  You'll find a page with general
    helpful info about the Notebook.  There's another link at the bottom that will take you
    to more info about what should be in the notebook.  Finally at the bottom of this 2nd
    page you'll find a link to the CAK experiment example found in the preface of the lab
    manual.  There's also info about the notebook and report in Appendices A and B of
    the manual.

2) You must have your notebook prepared when you walk into lab.

    For those of you who haven't done it yet, you should have determined how to prepare your
    notebook by having looked at the instruction links on my web page and Carmen.  The TA
    should also have covered this during Check-in and Lab Zero.

    Take a look at the syllabus and the following link for an idea of what should be in there,

    Chem Lab Notebook - Departmental Guidelines for Lab Notebooks<https://uglabs.cbc.osu.edu/gc-labnotebook/>

    The next link shows an example I did for the first couple of steps from the lab manual
    for exps 6 and 14 (also shown on the last page of the syllabus).  This is also the last
    page of the syllabus.  It shows how you should write your procedure in short concise
    steps with only 1 or 2 objectives in each step.  It looks like a "cookbook".  This makes
    it much easier to follow when in lab and you are less likely to make mistakes (check
    things off as you do them).

        My Suggestions for Writing a Notebook Procedure<https://www.asc.ohio-state.edu/zellmer.1/chem1250/lab/notebook_proc_1250.pdf>

    If using an iPad (or other tablet) treat it as if it were a physical notebook with carbons.

Again, you can find information about how the notebook should look, lab report, etc. from
start to finish by looking at the CAK example starting on page "xiv" of the lab manual.

Dr. Zellmer