General quiz and review information

Zellmer, Robert zellmer.1 at osu.edu
Sat Jan 22 14:34:43 EST 2022

Your first quiz for credit is this coming Sunday.  Here's some updates about your
recitations and quizzes.

1) Just to make sure all of you understand the quiz "window" and "time limit" here it is.

The quizzes will be similar to the paper quizzes I would give in recitation if we were all
in person and the TAs could grade as we normally do, except you won't be providing
explanations or showing work. This means the quizzes will generally technically be
around 25-30 min quizzes.  You will get 40 minutes for each quiz.  Essentially, you'll
be getting about the same amount of time or more per question that you'll get on the
midterms.  If you can't finish, this would likely indicate you don't understand the
material as well as you should.

The quiz will be open between 7 and 10 PM on Sunday. That's a 3-hour window in
which you can start the 40-min quiz.  However, you must start by 9:20 PM if you want
the full 40 min for the quiz.  The quiz will automatically submit at 10 PM, whether
you're done or not.

If you have a conflict with this time period on Sunday you should contact me ASAP.

2) You must work independently.  You are not allowed to get help or give help.  You are
not allowed to use the internet for help or upload any part of the quiz to the internet, even
after the quiz is over.  It is open-book and open-note so you can use those things (e-Text,
you class notes, lecture videos, etc.) but not other sites (like Chegg, CourseHero,
Wikipedia, etc.).  However, you really won't have time to be looking things up so don't
depend on getting a lot of help from the book, notes, etc.  You need to know the
material.

3) The quizzes will not require work to be submitted, unless we start seeing evidence
of people working together or other suspicious behavior.  This will help cut down on
your time and our TA's time. Even so, you will need to do work to answer questions
so you should still have something around to work on.  I suggest using your iPad for
your scratch paper.  That way if you have a question about a quiz question I can see
your work, otherwise I won't know what you did.

4) The quizzes will have multiple-choice, multi-answer, drop-down, fill-in-the-blank,
numeric and formula questions (randomly generated numbers).  I will not be using
drag-and-drop.

5)  A link to an information and periodic table page specific to the quiz will be in the
instructions for the quiz.  Use the PT and info page I provide.

6)  Do NOT use the Canvas app. for quizzes or exams.  You should be able to use
your iPad but I don't suggest that for the quizzes if you have a computer.  Your
computer has a bigger screen making it easier to see things.  Then you can use your
iPad as your scratch pad.

Make sure you have a good internet connection.  I suggest a direct ethernet
connection whenever possible.

8)  There's a "Quiz Information and Instructions" module in the "Quizzes" module
in Carmen.  Read it before the quiz on Sunday.

If you get out of the quiz while taking it Carmen will let you back in to continue
it.  However, the timer keeps going so when you get back in your timer will
reflect the total time you've been taking the quiz, even though were not actually
in the quiz.

9) The "Review" periods are done in the lab setting in the weeks shown in the
syllabus.  As I mentioned in lecture on Thursday we switched next week's Review
and Exp 5 (EQW).  Next week you'll be doing exp 5 and the Review will be the
following week, the week before MT 1.  You're not doing official "activities" during
the review.  We want you paying attention and participating.  Come with questions.
We want to get your questions answered.  I suggest using Notability on your iPad
to take notes during the review.  You can ask questions about lab or lecture
material.

You are getting 30 pts max for coming to each Review.  I've covered this previously
in the syllabus, e-mail, my webpage and on Carmen.  These Review points are
part of your lab grade.  The actual points you receive depends on your attendance
and you will be asked to sign in by the TA.

I suggest you e-mail your TA questions you might have by about 6 PM the night
before a review so they can prepare something.  It will make for a better experience
and you'll be able to cover more.

Dr. Zellmer