exp 1 (SCM) - notebook and pre-lab

Zellmer, Robert zellmer.1 at osu.edu
Wed Jan 19 22:53:34 EST 2022

I've received several questions concerning exp 1 (SCM) so I decided to send something
to everyone.  I know some of you may have already  prepared for exp 1 but this should
still help.  There's a few things I've already e-mailed out but are included here again.

1) There was no pre-lab for exp 0 (ZER) but there is for exp 1 (SCM).  From this point on,
    all exps have a pre-lab due before lab.  If not done by the time you walk into lab it's
    not worth any points (no credit given).

    You should have read a couple of the appendices describing the equipment (tells you
    how many decimal places you should record for the buret and pipets). You can find
    information for the exp on Carmen and my personal class webpage by going to the
    following link and scrolling down to exp 1.

        Laboratory<https://www.asc.ohio-state.edu/zellmer.1/chem1250/lab/lab_1250.htm>

    A good source for what should go in the notebook and report with an example (manual
    pages, notebook example and report example) can be found at,

    OSU Chemistry Undergraduate Laboratory Server - Very useful<https://uglabs.cbc.osu.edu/>

    There you will find a Chem 1250 link and once there you will find several useful links
    about lab skills, lab notebook and report.  I do have links to the Notebook and Report
    pages at this site and my "Laboratory" link and below.  There's also info about the notebook
    and report in the preface and Appendices A and B of the manual.

2) For those of you who haven't done it yet, you should have determined how to prepare your
    notebook by having looked at the instruction links on my web page and Carmen.  The TA
    should also have covered this last week during Check-in and Lab Zero.

    Take a look at the syllabus and the following link for an idea of what should be in there,

    Chem Lab Notebook - Departmental Guidelines for Lab Notebooks<https://uglabs.cbc.osu.edu/gc-labnotebook/>

    There's the examples in the manual as well.

    The next link shows an example I did for the first couple of steps from the lab manual
    for exps 6 and 14 (also shown on the last page of the syllabus).  It shows how you should
    write your procedure in short concise steps with only 1 or 2 objectives in each step.  It
    looks like a "cookbook".  This makes it much easier to follow when in lab and you are less
    likely to make mistakes (check things off as you do them).

        My Suggestions for Writing a Notebook Procedure<https://www.asc.ohio-state.edu/zellmer.1/chem1250/lab/notebook_proc_1250.pdf>

Again, you can find information about how the notebook should like, lab report, etc. from
start to finish by looking at the CAK example starting on page "xiv" of the lab manual.

I'll send more about reports, post-lab and data entry in another e-mail.

Dr. Zellmer