homework, solutions, book editions, Give it Some Thought Questions, etc.

Zellmer, Robert zellmer.1 at osu.edu
Mon Jan 17 22:52:34 EST 2022

I always get questions about the homework, solutions, studying
and the quizzes.

Students often ask if I "recommend" they read the textbook. I would
not say I "recommend" it, I implore it.  I can't see how you can learn
this material without doing so.  Also, I was asked if you should read
it before or after the homework.  If you look at my "How to Study" link
and if you come to one of my sessions you will see how I recommend
doing things.  Just real quickly though, I can't see how one can do the
homework w/o reading the material first and working the Sample
Exercises, practice exercises, etc., throughout the chapter.   There's
more below and on my web page about this.  Watch the "How to Study"
Zoom for more details on how to do things.

You should also be answering the "Give It Some Thought" questions that
appear in the sections as you are reading. I suggest you write down your
answers instead of just answering them in your head. The answers to the
GIST questions are in the back of the book starting on page A-31 in the
14th ed. (A-31 in the 13th ed., A-33 in the 12th ed., A-36 in the 11th ed.
and A-35 in the 10th ed.), after the answers to the selected EOC exercises
(the ones marked in red at the end of the chapter).

In the newest version of the e-Text there are blue "Show Answer"
buttons.

The 12th, 13th & 14th editions also have what are called "Go Figure"
questions in the sections.  They are similar to the GIST questions but a
little more involved.  Their answers follow those for the GIST questions
(starting on page A-37 of the 14th ed., A-38 of the 13 ed. and A-41 of the
12th ed.).

These also have the blue "Show Answer" button in the e-Text.

The order of the answers to these sections (and page numbers) is
reversed in the 12th edition paperback OSU chem custom edition.
The e-Text does have some extra bells and whistles that the paper
versions don't.  There's "Smart Figure" videos every now and then.
There's also "Self-review" questions as you go along.

Try to work the Sample Exercises when you come to them. Give yourself
a minute or two to really think about it and write something down.  You
won't lose any points for these if you get them wrong.  Then uncover the
analyze and plan, which tell you how to approach the problem.  Then
continue with the problem uncovering a little more of the solution as you
go along.

At the end of every Sample Exercise in the chapters are two practice
exercises.  You should do least one of them.  The answer to practice
exercise 2 is in the back of the book after the answers to the
"Go Figure" questions.  For the e-Text it's at the end as well.  I
suggest bringing up the textbook more than once in other tabs/windows
to make it easy to ve access to the answers.

I've "assigned" end-of-chapter (EOC) homework exercises for each
chapter on my class web page (not Carmen).  As stated in the syllabus
they are NOT collected.  We are NOT doing on-line homework.
This means doing homework is technically "voluntary".  However, you
won't do well if you don't do them.

I don't break the end-of-chapter (EOC) homework problems up according
to each lecture.  In lecture I usually go in the same order as the book (if I
reorder things appreciably I'll let you know).  Often the headings in my
notes correspond with those in the book (although they may not be
identical they're close enough for you to figure out just where I stopped
each lecture).

You'll notice, the EOC problems are generally broken up by section in the
book.  Every now and then, one section of homework corresponds to more
than one section in the book. This mostly happens when there's a short
section that has only 2-4 corresponding homework problems.  It's easy to
figure out when the homework in these sections switch from one section to
another.  You should do the problems for each section before studying the
next section, even if sections have been combined in the homework
problems at the end of the chapter.

Another thing to notice about the EOC problems is, most of them come in
pairs (the ones in the sections of problems demarcated by the section
numbers at the top of a section of problems).  Exercises 1.13 and 1.14 are
covering the same general ideas but asked in a different way.  That's what
those little lines between every two problems indicate in the paper editions
(the 10th ed. doesn't have the lines).  The e-Text doesn't have these lines
but the questions still come in pairs, just like the printed edition.  This
means if I've assigned a particular problem and you just can't figure out how
to do it and wind up looking at the solutions manual you need to try the
corresponding companion question right then.  This will help to reinforce
what you just saw.

We've covered up through section 2.1. We are not covering section 1.4
or "units of energy" in 1.5 in the 14th ed. right now.  We will cover them
in Ch 5.  It won't hurt to read them now.  This material used to be found
in only Ch 5.  In the 14th ed. a little bit of material from Ch 5 is now in
Ch 1 and repeated again in Ch 5.  This is explained at the Notes link of
my class web page as well.  We cover everything in ch 1 in the other
editions.  You should be finished with all of this by lecture on Tuesday.

You should complete the material presented in one lecture before
the next and make sure you finish the whole week's material (including
Additional and Integrative Exercises) by Saturday or early Sunday.
If you don't do this each week you will always be behind. Everyone
should be through all the sections I mentioned above by Sunday and
no later than lecture this coming Tuesday.  If not, you're already behind.
That's probably the worse thing you can allow happen.  It's really difficult
to catch up with this type of material if you fall too far behind.

The quiz next weekend (Sunday, 1/23) is going to cover Ch 1.

The quizzes will generally cover the material from the previous week
and maybe a little from the first lecture of the same week (for instance
if I only have a few pages to finish a section).  This will help you stay
on track and hopefully not fall behind.

I will generally cover 3-6 sections a lecture, depending on their
length and complexity.  You should try to skim ahead before
coming to lecture so you have some idea what we will be
discussing.  You should try to start the sections I've covered
the day of lecture and pretty much finish them before the next
lecture.  I generally go in the order of the sections.  Every now
and then I will change things a little but I will tell you when I've
done this.  Study one section at a time and do the end-of-chapter
exercises for a section before starting the next.  ALWAYS read
and work ONE section at a time and finish it before starting
the next section.  Keep current and don't fall behind.  That's one
of the worse things you can do, particularly in math and technical
subjects.

You can find the assigned "EOC" problems on my class web
page (not Carmen).  I've posted the publisher's solutions to ALL
end-of-chapter problems on Carmen for the 11th, 12th, 13th and
14th editions. Go to the "Modules" link in the menu and then the
"Homework (End-of-Chapter Exercises) and Solutions Manuals"
module.  You'll find instructions there.

Don't leave questions for me or e-mail me using the messaging system
in Carmen.  I don't look at it often, although I do have it set up so it should
send me the message.  You may get a quicker response by mailing me
directly to zellmer.1 at osu.edu<mailto:zellmer.1 at osu.edu>.

There's lots of info on my personal class web pages.  Please look around
to see what's there and you may find the answers to many of your questions.
If not, that's fine, just come to my office hours or send an e-mail.

Dr. Zellmer