problem sets, on-line homework (Mastering Chem, Aleks, Sapling) etc

Zellmer, Robert zellmer.1 at osu.edu
Mon Jan 17 11:00:16 EST 2022

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned the following in class, on my
web page or previous e-mails.  However, I've still received
a couple of questions about whether there will be "problem
sets" in 1250 or online homework exercises. I do not use
(assign problems from) Mastering Chemistry, Aleks, Sapling,
etc. or collect problems for a grade or extra credit.  We are
NOT doing any on-line homework, period.  I know some
instructors do.  My belief is,  if you do ALL the assigned
homework problems (and then a few extra) AND understand
what you are doing AND understand the concepts in the book
AND do things the proper way (read the "How to Study" link)
AND seek help when you need it, you should be fine.   The
problem is most people do NOT do the proper things.  I will
treat you as adults and it's up to you to be responsible enough
to do homework and come for help.  I will provide as much
help as possible but ultimately it comes down to you being
responsible enough to do the proper things.

This also means you do NOT have to buy an access code for
MC.  All you need is a textbook.  New or used, doesn't
matter.  The e-Text does have some new bells and whistle but
they're not necessary for you to learn the material.

You can find the "assigned" homework on the class web page,
Chemistry 1250 - Sp22
<https://www.asc.ohio-state.edu/zellmer.1/chem1250/chem1250.htm>
Once there you will see links for "Homework".  Click on the
appropriate link for the edition of the textbook you're using.
What you will find are the end-of-chapter (EOC) problems you
should do.

The publisher's solutions manual for the 11th-14th editions can
be found on Carmen by going to the "Homework (End-of-Chapter
Exercises) and Solutions Manuals".

Just looking at the solutions in the solutions manual is NOT the
same as YOU doing the homework problems.  YOU must be
able to do them on your own in a reasonable amount of time.
Chem 1250 involves lots of concepts and equations.  You need
to understand these concepts and truly understand the equations
(when and how to use them, what the eqns tell you about the
relationships between the variables in the eqns, etc.).  If you
attempt the homework problems I've assigned but can't do them
on your own or don't  understand the concepts and eqns. you
should seek help from me and/or the TAs and then work some
more problems.  If you don't do this you won't do well in the class.

You MUST keep up with what we are doing in class.  If you are
behind, even by one lecture's worth of material, you will find it
will be difficult to catch up and understand things.  This is not a
course you can put off for another day.  You will need to spend
2.5-3 hours EVERY DAY in order to do well.  You should be
spending about 15-18 hours per week (sometimes less, sometimes
more) on the lecture material (and 3-4 on lab to prepare for one
lab and write the report).  Students often tell me (after failing the
first midterm) they spend a lot of time every week studying.
When I ask for specifics I'm often told "a lot" is 6 or fewer hours
a week.  That won't work.

Always skim 4-6 sections ahead in the book before class so that
lecture will make a little more sense.  You should then finish the
sections in  the textbook and associated homework for sections
covered in one lecture before the next.  I generally follow the order
of the sections in the book.  This way you are keeping up and the
next lecture will make more sense. You should only have Thursday
lecture material for the weekend.  You should be done with ALL the
"assigned" sections and homework for the week by Saturday or
Sunday, except for the Integrative Exercises. These often require
knowledge from multiple sections or chapters (wait and do these
after finishing the chapter or if I've listed them in the quiz coverage
e-mail).  Read about how to study for this class at the following link,

Studying Methods - 1250<https://www.asc.ohio-state.edu/zellmer.1/studying/studying_1250.txt>

You can view my "How to Learn/Study" session by going to the
"Lecture" module in Carmen.

As stated in a previous e-mail, to help yourself keep up, learn the
material and remember it, you need to do things more than once.
We have weekly quizzes this semester with the hope it will help you
to keep up a little better.

This class is quite a bit tougher than most, mainly because we move
very quickly.  Most of you have probably seen most of the material
in chapters 1-10 in high school, but not all and not at the same
level we will be covering it.  Most of you will not have not seen most
of the material beyond chapter 10, and if you have, probably not at the
level of understanding we expect. We cover a lot of conceptual things
and that is often something most students do not see in high school or
in other classes.

You will be busy with this course.  It takes a lot of hard work
and effort.  It will be mostly up to you how much you learn.
Probably 90% of what you learn will be on your own with about
10% coming from me, both in class and by you asking me
questions.  I'm always very willing to help and will help as much
as I can.

You will likely get a lot of e-mails from me throughout the semester.
When someone asks me a good question I usually send my answer
to the whole class (usually when there's one person with a question
there's probably several more with the  same question).  I will also
send answers to questions I've received in previous years.  As a
matter of fact, the answers to some of those can be found at the
"Helpful Tidbits" link on the 1250 class web page (not Carmen).
Check this page and my other links for answers to your questions
before e-mailing me.  However, if you still don't understand something
do not be afraid to seek me out. You can always send me questions
via e-mail. If we need to we can set up a Zoom meeting.

Dr. Zellmer