1250 textbooks

Zellmer, Robert zellmer.1 at osu.edu
Mon Jan 10 08:50:16 EST 2022

I'm getting questions about the books required.

Technically you only need the textbook and lab manual this semester.  You'll need a notebook
as well but you don't have to purchase one (see item 3 below).

We are NOT doing on-line homework.

1) Textbook

A textbook is essential for success in this course. Your instructor will be teaching from
Chemistry, The Central Science (14th Edition) by Brown, LeMay, Bursten, Murphy, Woodward,
& Stoltzfus. The textbook for this course is an eText provided via CarmenBooks. Through
CarmenBooks, students obtain publisher materials electronically through Carmen, saving them
up to 80% per title. The fee for this material is included as part of tuition and is listed as
"CarmenBooks fee" or "course fee" on your Statement of Account. The cost of the course
textbook through Carmenbooks is around $45.

You will access your eText portal through the "MyLab and Mastering" link on Carmen.  The
first time you access this link, you will need to register with a code and instructions provided
on the Carmen course homepage (under "Getting Started.")   We are NOT doing online homework
but you need to sign up this way for the book.  Once you get your eText you can purchase a
loose-leaf edition for about $45 if you want a paper copy.
Instructions for registering, getting help and the publishers office hours can be found on our
Carmen homepage by clicking on the  'Begin here: Start of Term Tasks"  under "Welcome!"
in the read banner. That takes you to the "Start of Term Tasks" page.  This same page can
be found in the "Introduction" module (from the "Modules" menu link). Please read the
instructions (the access code is there).

Once there click on "Register for Online Homework and eTextbook".

Students are welcome to use an older version of the text.  Textbook homework assignments are
given back through the 11th ed. on Dr. Zellmer's course web pages.  We are NOT doing on-line
homework using the MasteringChemistry online homework program that accompanies the eText isn't
necessary, but you have to register for it to get the eText. The text is also available for purchase in
used or digital formats and may also be obtained through many textbook rental services or other retailers.

2) Lab Manual:  Chemistry 1250 General Chemistry Laboratory Manual, Hayden-McNeil Publishing, Inc.
This is specific for each school year.  Cannot use one from the past.  It should have 2022
on the cover.  This is a PDF eText.

Look at the "Lab Manual Access" module in the "Resources and Links" module. You will also find a link
to this at the "Start of Term Tasks" page

3) Lab Notebook:  You do not have to buy a lab notebook this semester.  You will be able to use your
iPad for the notebook, a lab notebook or regular spiral notebook.  There are details about this in the syllabus.

4)    We will NOT be using on-line homework.  Technically, for the 14th ed., when you get Mastering w
       via Carmenbooks you get both the eText and the Mastering Chemistry on-line homework system.
        I'm only setting up the MyLab and Mastering tab so people can get access to the eText.

5) Can you use the 11th, 12th, 13th or 14th editions of the textbook?

      Yes.  There aren't many differences between the editions and I will announce
      these in class and they will be on my web site for the class (at the "Notes" link).
      I have homework assignments for all four editions on my class web page.
      The publisher's solutions manual for all these editions, with worked out solutions
      for all end-of-chapter homework exercises can be found on the Carmen class web page.

6) Do I suggest you buy the book on line or get it through Carmenbooks?

      I really can't answer this other than to say at this late date ordering it on line may
      result in not getting the book before the semester starts.

       A)  If you want the 14th edition eText get it through Carmenbooks.  It will be a lot cheaper.
 You already have it as long as you didn't opt out of it.

       B)  Amazon has 11th, 12th, 13th and 14th editions both new and used, hardcover, paperback, e-text.

7)  I'm retaking the course from a previous semester can I use my old eText?

        This depends on when you took the course.  If it's the14th edition eText you might be able to use it.
        Try going through the Mylab link in Carmen or directly to Pearson and log in.  If this doesn't work you
        will probably have to purchase it again.

8)  I'm retaking the course, can I use my old lab manual and notebook?

    Lab manual - The lab manual MUST be the 2022 edition.  There have been several changes
                           in this edition.

    Lab notebook - See item #3 above.

9)  The calculator requirement is discussed in the syllabus.

Okay, back to making the syllabus video.

Dr. Zellmer