COVID problems

Zellmer, Robert zellmer.1 at osu.edu
Sun Jan 9 23:10:24 EST 2022

I've already received several e-mails from people who have COVID or have
close contact with someone who has it.  I know others are probably going to
fall in one of these categories in the fist couple of weeks of class.

You don't have to worry about missing lecture.  I have prerecorded lectures
on Carmen (see the "Lecture" module in the "Modules" tab in the menu).
My pre-recorded lecture videos are there by each lecture but I may not
always be at that exact point in the live lectures.  I would suggest people
not use these in order to skip lecture.  You're still better off coming to lecture.
However, if you must miss due to an illness or emergency they're there so
you won't fall behind.

I also suggest if you know anyone in class you ask them to send you
the notes.  Actually, if they're using Notability on an iPad they can record
the audio (there's a microphone symbol at the top you click for this)
they can send you the native Notability file with the audio recorded.

We do have lab this first week. I'm not sure just yet what we'll be
doing if people miss lab due to COVID.  Generally we don't have
make-up labs.  I'll be speaking to the TA this week to see what we
can do.  You can not come to lab if you're out due to COVID (or
any communicable disease).

If you're going to miss lab you will need to get something from SLDS.
There's something in the syllabus about this with a link to the SLDS
website.  You'll fill out a form there.  They will reply to you and you
will forward what they send you to me.

If your absence goes into the 2nd week or beyond and you'll miss
lab next week or beyond you'll need to contact me and we'll have to
talk about what we'll do.

There is a pre-assessment quiz due at the end of this week.  Since
it's on-line you could still possibly take it.  If you can't, don't worry
since it doesn't count toward the final grade.

All quizzes are on-line via Carmen so you might still be able to take
them, particularly if you're just in quarantine because you were
exposed.  Even if you aren't feeling real well I suggest you take the
quiz.  We drop the 3 lowest quiz scores.  If you miss a quiz for ANY
reason it is one of the dropped scores.
If you wind up getting sick, for any reason, and will miss a midterm
you can find what to do in Carmen in the Make-up Exams area of
the "Shortcuts:" area at the bottom of the homepage.  You need to
do this as I don't have anything to do with determining if your
excuse is valid when it comes to exams. Even so, if you're going to
miss an exam let me know.  We do NOT drop any exam scores.

Just so everyone knows, if you have COVID we don't need any
documents showing this.  You can send it if you wish but we don't
need it.  I'm not sure if you need it for SLDS.  We do need something
from SLDS.

Dr. Zellmer