Quizzes and Exams - constants, periodic table, etc.

Zellmer, Robert zellmer.1 at osu.edu
Sat Feb 5 11:43:59 EST 2022

I've been receiving questions about what information you get for the
exam.

For quizzes and exams you normally get a periodic table page.  It may
also have some constants.  For exams, it's generally the same as the
one for the practice exam.

I don't usually give equations for quizzes.  On exams I do give some
equations but not all (usually the easiest most used eqns aren't given).
The practice exam I put up for MT 1 has the same info.

These sheets are on my personal webpage at the Exams and Practice
Exams links.  It's also in Carmen for the Practice Exam.  It will be
included with scratch paper at MT 1.  It's just to make sure everyone is
using the same info. and s.f. for AWs.  This will not be a substitute for
not being well prepared for the exam.  It won't help to have equations
if you don't know which to use or how to use it.

You need to know common relationships such as:

1 ft = 12 in
1 yd = 3 ft
l lb = 16 oz (dry oz)
1 cup = 8 oz (liquid oz)
1 pint = 2 cup
1 qt = 4 cup
1 gal = 4 qt
etc.

The only US to metric unit you need to remember is:

1 in = 2.54 cm (exact by definition)

I will give you other US to metric conversions for things which are
unusual and not used often.

Remember, conversions w/in a system are exact by definition since
the conversion factors are defined quantities.

You need to know the names and symbols of the first 30 elements. You don't
have to know exactly where they are in the PT by memory, their atomic no.
or their atomic weights. As we are introducing more elements you should be
learning their symbols and names as well (at least for the more common
ones, a few of which are Hg, Br, I, Sn, Pb, As, Sb, Bi, groups 1A, 2A and
noble gases through Xe).

Dr. Zellmer