Why You Should (And Shouldn't) Put Hydrogen Peroxide On Cuts

Zellmer, Robert zellmer.1 at osu.edu
Sun Apr 17 09:00:03 EDT 2022

I think I mentioned this at some point in the lecture in chapter 14 when we were discussing

catalysts.   Your body produces hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) during some reactions but it isn't

good for you (it oxidizes other chemicals). You have an enzyme which degrades it.  That's

one of the reasons it  bubbles when you apply it to a cut. The enzyme is helping to degrade

the H2O2 and in the process gas (O2) is produced causing the bubbles.  However, while

the H2O2 is killing any bacteria present it's also destroying your cells.  You're really not

suppose to use it on small cuts, just clean them and use antibiotic ointment.  Here's an

article about it.

http://io9.com/why-you-should-and-shouldnt-put-hydrogen-peroxide-on-1698588309

Just in case you cut yourself preparing something to eat.

Dr. Zellmer