sig. fig. for logarithms

Zellmer, Robert zellmer.1 at osu.edu
Fri Jan 27 19:25:41 EST 2023

The following was part of an e-mail sent the first week of class but you
may have missed it.  You need it for Ch 14 and in future chapters.

For the BAR and CLK labs you needed to calculate ln[Allura Red] and ln(k).
I mentioned in class how to handle sig. fig. for logs.  The sig. fig. for
log(x) and ln(x) are tricky.  It's explained in a help file I have specifically
about logs and s.f. at my "Helpful Tidbit" link.  Sig. fig. for logarithms is
also explained in Appendix A of the textbook.

This is also very important for ch 16 and 17 since you must take base
ten logs to get pH, pOH, etc. I will mention this in lecture during our
discussion of pH and pOH.  We'll be dealing with logs again in chapters
19 and 20.  These pesky little things will be popping up everywhere.

Manipulating Logs and Sig. Figs.<https://www.asc.ohio-state.edu/zellmer.1/chem1220/faq/sig_fig_logs.txt>

Dr. Zellmer