rate law problem given in class

Zellmer, Robert zellmer.1 at osu.edu
Wed Jan 25 08:15:42 EST 2023

For those of you not coming to class I discussed the
following problem.  Just a reminder, I don't have to do
this and sometimes don't.  If you don't come to lecture
you may not get the next problem.  You can also find this
at the link to the "handouts" mentioned in sent in the
previous e-mail about Ch 14 "handouts".

The following is a problem I want you to think about.  I mentioned
this in class and told you to work on it.  I will NOT be giving the
answer in lecture and neither will the TAs in recitation.  You need
to work on it yourself and ask me or a TA to see if you did it
correctly.  We will tell you yes or no.  If you don't have it correct,
we will give you hints but will not tell you how to do it.  That is up
to you to figure out.  If you get it correct don't simply give someone
else the answer.  You can help them but only tell them if they are
or aren't on the right track.  Let them have as much fun solving it
as you did.

What you have is the following:

1)  r = k [A]^n (a general rate law)

2)  Experimental data of rate and [A].  For instance:

      rate       [A] (M)
      ----        ----------
      1.0           1.0
      3.0           2.0
      4.5           3.0

Something like that (not actual data). You are not doing
an initial rate problem using this data.  I don't even want
you actually using this to get any numbers for k & n.  It's
just an example of the data you would collect in an experiment.

3)  You can mathematically manipulate the rate eqn in (1) so you
get a linear equation.  Then if you plot the right things as y and x
(think about the eqn you get and the data you have) it will
graphically give you k and n in a fairly easy way (somehow
related to the slope and intercept, not necessarily in that order).

You do NOT have to do any integration.  You won't be using an
integrated rate eqn (law).  You don't have [A] and time data.  You
have rate and [A] data.

This is NOT an initial rate method problem.  That is NOT
how I want you to think about this.

Think about what you might be able to do mathematically to
the equation in (1) to get a linear equation.  Then think
about what you need to plot so that you can get k and n.

Dr. Zellmer