Studying for Chem 1220 and "How to learn/study" meetings

Zellmer, Robert zellmer.1 at osu.edu
Mon Jan 9 09:01:06 EST 2023

I suggest you look at my home page for two important links:

Studying Methods - 1220<https://www.asc.ohio-state.edu/zellmer.1/studying/studying_1220.txt>

and

Some Ways College and High School are Different<https://www.asc.ohio-state.edu/zellmer.1/studying/college_highsc.pdf>

Both will be very helpful.   This class moves quickly and is very
different than most high school classes and even those you may
have had so far in college.   Studying for this class is different
than what you may have had to do for most of your other
classes.   Please read the material in the above links and pay close
attention to what is stated there and in my original e-mail. Due to
the speed of the class you may have to put in about 15 hours
outside of class for the lecture material.   Also, don't forget you
will need to spend 3-4 hours for lab prep and reports.  So, plan
on 18 hours a week.  Spread it out over the week and each day
(7 days a week is best, 2.5 hours per day broken up over the
course of the day).

Also, do you want to get some more guidance on how to learn?
I have the link above but sometimes it's better to hear things
and get some specifics.  I will be holding a couple of "How to
learn/study" in-person sessions this week (see below). In the
past I waited until after the first exam.  I now do this at the start of
the semester since it can make a big difference for many people.
Even if you did well in high school chemistry, or even 1210, this
course is very different in terms of the depth of understanding
expected.  Students often tell me afterwards it helps them in terms
of time management and overall reduces the time they must
spend and still learn the material.  Some students will spend 25 or
more hours per week and still not do well because they don't work
efficiently.

I strongly suggest you come to one of these, particularly if you struggled
in Chem 1210 or you're retaking 1220.  It's certainly up to you whether
or not to come.  I will be there.

As of now, I'm holding 3 in-person sessions. They will be the same
so you don't have to come to all of them.  I will try to record one
of them using Zoom and put the recording up for people who can't
attend.

Tue.              Jan. 10       5:30-6:30 PM        McPherson 1000
Thur.             Jan. 12      5: 30-6:30 PM        McPherson 1000
Tue.              Jan. 17       5: 30-6:30 PM       McPherson 1000

Dr. Zellmer