ZNN Headline News - good news and bad news

Zellmer, Robert zellmer.1 at osu.edu
Thu Feb 9 15:34:33 EST 2023

News from ZNN (Zellmer News Network).  The real news and only
the real news.

The first midterm is done (yeah!) unless you're taking a make-up.
I hope you all did well or do well on the make-ups this week.

Whoever has taken the exam should not be talking about it since
there are people who haven't taken it yet.  The make-ups at the
end of this week may be different, but you still don't want to give
things away to the types of questions on last night's exam.

I can't say much about the exam at this point.  Sometime next
week they will release the exam results.  I'm not sure exactly
when so hang in there.  We can't address specific questions on
the exam until after they've been released.

That's about it for the good news.  I guess that's like the good
news in real life, sometimes there's not much of it.

Now on to the bad news.  I mentioned this in lecture.  We have
to move on.

You need to move on to ch 15 and get caught up if behind.
There's MC problems due this Friday and Saturday and a quiz
this weekend on ch 15.

We completed Ch 15 Tue and I start Ch 16 today.

In Section 16.1 they discuss the different acid-base theories.  I
will be holding off on Lewis theory until the end of the Chapter.
Read over it now but leave the EOCEs covering Lewis theory until
later.

This isn't as much as it looks.  The hardest part in Ch 15 will be
using ICE tables in section 15.6 to calculate equil. conc.

The quiz this weekend covers 15.1-15.6.

In ch 15 the first 4 sections are closely related.  So much so the
book combines all four sections into one section of homework.
At the "Homework" link on my web page I've broken down the
homework problems based on the sections so you can still work
a section at a time.

There are extra practice problems for section 15.6.  They can be
found at the Homework link on my class web page (CH 15 - Extra
ICE Table Problems and Solutions).  Don't try these until you've
done the EOCEs for these sections from the book.  The last one
is challenging and you might need to look at the solutions to get
a hint.

CH 15 - Extra ICE Table Problems and Solutions <https://www.asc.ohio-state.edu/zellmer.1/chem1220/homewk/ch15_extra_problems.pdf>

Dr. Zellmer