Catalytic Converter Thefts

Zellmer, Robert zellmer.1 at osu.edu
Wed Feb 1 08:01:18 EST 2023

When I was discussing catalytic converters in class I mentioned they're
expensive because of the precious metals used in the catalyst and how
people are willing to crawl under cars in broad daylight to steal them.

A fellow student sent me a link to an article in the Columbus Dispatch
about this problem and the sale of these last semester. A theft ring stole
about 13,000 converters in a 14-month period, amounting to $19 million
in losses (~ $1500 per converter).

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/crime/2022/09/15/six-arrested-in-theft-of-13000-catalytic-converters-in-central-ohio/69497324007/

Below is something from the OSU Police from spring semester 2022.
It is an ongoing problem.

We are sharing the below information on behalf of The Ohio State

University Police Division (OSUPD) with all parking permit holders:

Theft of catalytic converters from cars is becoming an issue not just at

Ohio State but around the city of Columbus and the country. Since

September 2021, more than 40 reports of catalytic converter thefts have

been made to OSUPD. Please be on the lookout for suspicious activity

in parking lots and garages and if you see something, say something.

Report suspicious behavior, or criminal acts, occurring on the Columbus

campus to police by calling 614-292-2121. Always dial 9-1-1 in emergencies.

It takes criminals only a few minutes to steal a catalytic converter. This crime

can occur at all times, not just at night. Things to be on the lookout for include

unknown or suspicious persons laying underneath vehicles or canvassing

parking lots. Police and security routinely patrol lots and garages and have

increased patrols in these areas.

Dr. Zellmer