Recitation Attendance and Quiz scores

Zellmer, Robert zellmer.1 at osu.edu
Tue Apr 25 18:10:20 EDT 2023

I've mentioned this previously, but I want to make sure everyone understands
what's going on with scores being dropped for recitation attendance and quizzes
and how this will be handled for the final course total.

For the recitation attendance the TA's are going to EXCUSE your 2 lowest
scores.  They will do this for everyone, even those of you who've attended all
recitations and got 10 pts for every period.  If you got 10 pts for every graded
recitation period (14 of them) the TA will likely excuse the last 2 periods.  If you
missed one graded period or got less than 10 pts for a period they will excuse
that period and then one of the remaining periods for which you got 10 pts.
If you missed 2 periods those will be excused.  If you missed more than 2
periods only 2 will be excused and the others will be given scores of zero.

Sometime today or tomorrow the TAs will go through and make sure they've
excused the two lowest recitation scores.  On Thursday check yourself to
make sure.  If there's any questions, contact the TA and CC me on the e-mail.

For the quizzes, the 2 lowest scores are dropped.  Seems straightforward.
However, having said this, not so much.  If you've taken all 12 quizzes the
following will NOT apply to you.  It automatically dropped the two lowest
scores.

It turns out Carmen doesn't do what one expects when someone misses a
quiz.  It enters a "dash" instead of a zero.  It then doesn't consider that missed
quiz as a zero and drop it.  I have to manually go in and reset the dashes to
zeros.  That means any missed quiz would now be a zero and considered
toward the dropped quizzes.  That means for a few of you the quiz average
you've seen so far could decrease.  This will only affect the score of someone
who hasn't taken one or more quizzes.  I've been doing this throughout the
semester but I may have missed some.  For most of you nothing will change
in terms of this.

Once this is all done, you're being graded on 10 quizzes and 12 recitation
attendance scores.  That's a total of 520 points (400 from the quizzes and
120 from attendance).

I've had a couple people ask about how the recitation score will be "adjusted"
since we had quizzes and not all other sections did.  I've mentioned this in class
more than once and at least one previous e-mail.  We will take this into account
in some way.  I'm not sure how just yet.  You won't be penalized for taking
quizzes.  Besides, seeing similar questions before the midterm helps on
midterms.  Finally, this adjustment turns out to be quite small.  It's not much
of a difference as you might think and the whole recitation score is only 8% of
your total course score.

Dr. Zellmer