Section 23.4 - NO Nomenclature and EOCEs

Zellmer, Robert zellmer.1 at osu.edu
Mon Apr 17 20:00:05 EDT 2023

I mentioned this in lecture and at least one previous e-mail but I'm
still getting questions about it.

We are NOT doing nomenclature from section 23.4.  We are doing
isomerism.  While you don't need to name these coordination
compounds, you should realize when you see the name you'll see
a Roman numeral in parentheses.  That's the oxidation number of
the metal cation.

I did not assign EOCEs 23.35 - 23.38 which deal with writing
formulas from names and vice versa.  There could be some
problems in Mastering dealing with oxidation #, coord #,
geometry or isomers where they might give you a name.
If so, remember what I just stated above about the Roman
numeral and ox. state of the metal and look in sections 23.3
and 23.4 about the ligand names and how many are
present (Greek prefixes).  If it's an EOCE just look up the
structure in the solutions manual.

Dr. Zellmer