Disproportionation Balancing Example from Lecture

Zellmer, Robert zellmer.1 at osu.edu
Wed Apr 5 17:11:21 EDT 2023

During last Thursday's lecture, after I finished the balancing examples,
I gave the following for everyone to try.  Go through the notes and
section 20.2 and some EOCE and then try the problem below.

This is a disproportionation rxn, the same substance is both the reducing
and oxidizing agent.  There are several of these in EOC Exercise 20.99.

The skeleton rxn given in class was:

            Br2  -->  Br^-   +   BrO3^-    (basic soln)

There's a link at my "Notes" link on my personal class webpage below
the link for the Ch 20 notes for a video showing how to do this.  Due to
time constraints I won't do the whole example in class.

Chapter 20 - Disproportionation Rxn Balancing Example<https://www.asc.ohio-state.edu/zellmer.1/chem1220/notes/Disproportionation_ex.mp4>

Dr. Zellmer