Textbook "assignments", solutions, MC, book editions, Give it Some Thought Questions, etc.

Zellmer, Robert zellmer.1 at osu.edu
Sun Aug 28 13:10:37 EDT 2022

I always get questions about the Mastering homework, textbook
practice "assignments", studying and the quizzes.  I got one over
the weekend.

Someone asked if I would "recommend" you read the textbook.
I would not say I "recommend" it; I implore it.  I can't see how
you can learn this material without doing so.  Also, I was asked
if you should read it before or after the homework.  If you look
at my "How to Study" link and if you come to one of my
sessions you will see how I recommend doing things.  Just
really quickly though, I can't see how one can do the homework
w/o reading the material first and working the Sample Exercises,
practice exercises, etc., throughout the chapter.   There's more
below and on my web page about this.

At the start of each section there are "Learning Objectives" you
should read and make sure you get that out of working through
the section.

There are "Go Figure" questions in the sections.  There are red
"Check Your Answer" link in the e-Text.  There are times if the
answer has a picture you can find that in the "Answers to
Assessments Containing Art" section at the end of the book.

The e-Text has lots of extra bells and whistles that the paper
versions don't.  There are helpful videos every now and then.
There are also "Self-Assessment" exercises as you go along.

Try to work the Sample Exercises when you come to them. Give yourself
a minute or two to really think about it and write something down.  You
won't lose any points for these if you get them wrong.  Then uncover the
analyze and plan, which tell you how to approach the problem.  Then
continue with the problem uncovering a little more of the solution as you
go along.

At the end of every Sample Exercise there's a Practice Exercise.
Try that as well.  Then if there are any "Sefl-Assessment" exercises
work those.

When you're done studying a section you need to do some practice
problems before moving on to the next section.  I suggest doing some
of the end-of-chapter (EOC) exercises.  These are technically
voluntary but you won't do well if you don't do at least some of them,
until you can do some w/o help.  I don't break them up according to
each lecture.  However, you will notice they are generally broken up
by section in the book.  Every now and then, one section of homework
corresponds to more than one section in the book. This mostly happens
when there's a short section that has only 2-4 corresponding EOC
exercises.  You should do the problems for each section before studying
the next section, even if sections have been combined in the homework
problems at the end of the chapter.  They will generally be in the order
of the sections within a combined EOC section.

Another thing to notice about the EOC problems is, most of them
come in pairs (the ones in the sections of problems demarcated by the
section titles at the top of a section of problems).  Exercises 1.13 and
1.14 are covering the same general ideas but asked in a different way.
If you have a paper edition there are little lines between every two
problems.  The eText doesn't have these lines but the questions still
come in pairs.  This means if I've assigned a particular problem and you
just can't figure out how to do it and wind up looking at the solutions for
any help you need to try the corresponding companion question right
then.  This will help to reinforce what you just saw.

We've finished 1.1-2.1.  The plan is to be in section 2.8 before the end
of lecture on Tue.

You should complete the material presented in one lecture before
the next and make sure you finish the whole week's material (including
Additional EOC Exercises) by Saturday or early Sunday.  The Additional
EOC Exercises aren't demarcated by section but are generally in the
order of the sections.  You can wait to do those when you're studying
for the quiz and I've indicated which ones to attempt.

If you don't do this each week you will always be behind.  By this
weekend, you should have been done with sections 1.1-2.1 (reading and
analyzing the material in the sections and the homework problems). You
should read and work up through section 2.3 even though I didn't cover it
in lecture yet.  I'll do that on Tue.  Sections 2.2 and 2.3 will be on Quiz 1.
They're pretty straightforward and most of you have seen it in high
school.  If you don't walk into lecture this Tue completely done with these
sections you are behind and that's probably the worse thing you can allow
to happen.  It's really difficult to catch up with this type of material if you fall
too far behind.

The quizzes will generally cover the material from the Tue. and Thur. of
the previous week and maybe material from Tue of the same week.  This
will help you stay on track and hopefully not fall behind.  I will let you
know on Thur. in lecture what the quiz on Sunday will cover.  I will also
e-mail out this info and put it on my class web page by Friday or sooner.

The pre-quiz this week covered general material.  I will release the quiz scores
and questions and let you know when that's done.  The score will be entered
in Carmen but the score will not count toward your final grade.  I will post a
sample quiz and answer key on my class web page (not Carmen). It won't
necessarily have the exact questions which were on the Carmen quiz but
they will be similar . I'll let you know when it's there.  Please look at the quiz
info there.

I will send an e-mail with quiz info next week and put details about it on
my class web page (not Carmen).

A day or two before your quiz you should skim the material the quiz
will cover and do the MC on-line homework as your review.  If you
already did it then do a few additional end-of-chapter problems for each
section.  For the material on the quiz this should not be the first time you
are doing the homework problems.  You MUST study the material and
do problems more than once if you hope to learn it well.  I suggest you
use the on-line MC homework (Tutorials and Homework Review sets) as
your review after having done some EOC exercises.

The Mastering homework due next Friday and Saturday covers a lot of
sections, up through 2.3.  I suggest starting on it by Wed. of this week.
Do half of the Tutorials set on Wed. and finish it on Thur.  Then do half
the Homework Review set on Fri and finish it on Sat.   Breaking things
up into smaller pieces will make it easier.

You can always do the Mastering first and save the EOC exercises
as your review but I don't suggest doing it that way.  Doing the EOCE's
first will allow you to "work out the bugs" in your understanding.  That
way the MC is a review and will go faster, you'll need to ask for fewer
hints and make fewer mistakes and maximize your points, which
count toward your final grade.

I will generally cover 2-5 sections a lecture, depending on their
length and complexity.  You skim ahead before coming to lecture so
you have some idea what we will be discussing.  You should try to
start the sections I've covered the day of lecture and pretty much
finish them before the next lecture.  I generally go in the order of the
sections.  Every now and then I will change things a little, but I will tell
you when I've done this.  Study one section at a time and do the EOC
exercises for a section before starting the next.  ALWAYS read and
work ONE section at a time and finish it before starting the next section.
Keep current and don't fall behind.  That's probably the worse thing
you can do.

You can find the assigned "EOC" exercise on my class web
page (not Carmen, although there's a link there to take you to
the link on my page).  I've posted the publisher's solutions to ALL
end-of-chapter problems on Carmen for the 15th edition. Go to
the "Modules" link in the menu and then the " Textbook End-of-Chapter
Exercises and Solutions Manual " module.  You'll find two links
there.  The 2nd one is for the solutions manual.

For the solutions for Chapters 1 and 2 they won't come up by clicking on
the link.  You need to click on the "3-dot" menu to the right of the file
name and click on "Preview".   These were sent to me differently than
the others.  I'm not sure why clicking on the link won't bring them up in
a preview window.

The ACTUAL homework you have for CREDIT is through MasteringChemistry.
I've sent out e-mails about this already.  I'm going to limit the for-credit
stuff to what are labeled as Tutorials (provide hints and feedback) and
some review questions for each chapter or part of a chapter (labeled as
"Homework Review").  You should do these after they open and before your
quiz.   I generally make the due dates the Friday and Saturday of the quiz
(which opens on Sunday).  They won't help much with your understanding
of the material if done after your quiz.  Use these as a review before the
quiz, as I indicated above.

I've also included the Exam Prep questions from the end of the chapter
in Mastering.  They will become available closer to the midterm and the
"due dates" will be the Sunday before the midterm.  These are NOT for
credit.  I'm making them available for practice.  Time yourself, giving
about 2.5 minutes per question.  Unfortunately, they do not have all
the Exam Prep questions from the end of the chapter.  I'm not sure
why.  These are in addition to the Practice Exams we'll be putting in
Carmen.  I mentioned these in a previous e-mail as well.

Don't leave questions for me or e-mail me using the messaging system
in Carmen.  I don't look at it often, although I do have it set up so it should
send me the message.  You will get a quicker response by mailing me
directly to zellmer.1 at osu.edu<mailto:zellmer.1 at osu.edu>.

There's lots of info on my personal class web pages.  Please look around
to see what's there and you may find the answers to many of your questions.
If not, that's fine, just come to my office hours or send an e-mail.

Dr. Zellmer