[AFS_OSU] FEF --- Welcome to the school year.

Ridgeway, Colin D. ridgeway.38 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
Fri Sep 8 10:19:59 EDT 2017

All,

I just received the following note from FEF/ Dr. Luo.   Please read through it as it has much of the information and more of what we discussed last night!

Of most importance is the CIC meeting in Chicago!!!  Please let me know if you are interested in going as well as your year standing at OSU (3rd year, 4th year, etc) ASAP!!!

Thanks,

Colin

All of the information that you need to be aware of this school year is available on the FEF website.  You can go to http://fefinc.org; login and then go to Professors and then Professors Info.  This is the page where you can choose what information you are looking for. If there is something you’re looking for but don’t see, please let me know.

Your students need to register on the FEF website as soon as possible (CIC delegates, scholarships recipients, anyone taking your class)

* If they registered in previous years, they only need to update their profile – not create a new one

* If they don’t update their profile, you (and company representatives) will not be able to view their information and it will look like they haven’t registered (if they haven’t logged in since 5/1/17, they have been switched to “inactive” and need to change their status to “student”)

* If anyone has problems with their profile, email me – pam at fefinc.org<mailto:pam at fefinc.org>

Internship/Co-Op Scholarships

                * Please remind your students that (if they have had an internship or co-op during 2017) they can apply for one of five $2000 scholarships that will be awarded in November

                * Deadline for submission is October 1, 2017

                * Information and applications are online here<http://fefinc.org/employment/internship-co-op-scholarship.html>

Regarding CIC delegate selection

* The deadline for all your names to be submitted in order of preference is October 13, 2017 – click here for all the details<http://fefinc.org/choosing-cic-delegates.html>

* You may bring Juniors to the CIC if they are looking for an internship

* Please only bring students who have not already made a job commitment

* Repeat delegates are only selected to attend a second year after all of the first-time attendees and students looking for internships have been exhausted; please include your repeat students who do not have job commitments at the end of your list of selected delegates

AFS Wisconsin Regional & Casting Competition – February 14-16, 2018

* Open to AFS student chapters comprising at least five students at accredited universities

* December 1, 2017 is the deadline to submit your intention to participate

* February 1, 2018 is the deadline for all entries to be received

* Application & more details – click here<http://fefinc.org/images/PDFs/2018-AFSWisc-CastingContest.pdf>

Ductile Iron Society Conference Attendance Offered to FEF Students – October 25-27

                * The DIS College & University Relations Committee is offering attendance at their meeting held in Plymouth, IN for UP TO 10 FEF students on a first come-first served basis (includes technical presentations, conference dinners, and a tour of Rochester Metal Products)

                * DIS will underwrite each student’s actual travel costs up to $1000.00

                * YOU, as the FEF Key Professor, need to contact Chip Keough directly with candidates’ names to be considered – jkeough at joyworksstudio.com<mailto:jkeough at joyworksstudio.com>

Casting Congress – April 3-5, 2018 – Fort Worth, TX

                * If needed, FEF will help with prof & student travel costs – we encourage all schools to attend this important networking event!

Here is a link to the annual school survey – http://fefinc.org/school-survey.html - the deadline for submitting this is 9/29/17. Thanks for your help!

Facility Tour Option - Charter Steel in Saukville, WI is inviting any FEF school to visit and tour their facility. They are part of Charter Manufacturing Group – which includes Charter Wire in Milwaukee and Ohio; Charter Auto in Milwaukee, Europe, and Asia; and Charter Durabar in Illinois. Our contact in Wisconsin is Kit Chaudoir in their HR Division – chaudoirk at chartersteel.com<mailto:chaudoirk at chartersteel.com>. If you have interest in touring the Plant in Saukville, WI or one of the other plants, email Kit and she will work with you. They have hired some of our FEF students and want to continue to further develop their relationship with FEF.

If you have any questions, please let me know. Have a great school year and see you in November (or before)!