[AFS_OSU] AFS Awesome New Projects!!

Hicks, Tori hicks.462 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
Thu Oct 5 16:43:16 EDT 2017

Hi Everyone!

Sorry for the double email today. I wanted to let everyone know about the super awesome projects we will be working on!! Please feel free to send questions, comments, and ideas to myself and Colin Ridgeway(.38).

Projects:

  1.  Baja Buckeyes: The Baja buckeyes have reached out to us again to collaborate on castings for their off-road vehicle (see photo below!). In Spring 2015, we cast their gear box in our foundry out of aluminum, saving them a ton of money that they would normally spend on machining an engine block. This was one of our coolest projects and I am so excited to work with them again!

[cid:f1dc83eb-64b6-4585-9f86-9a3941bd3c41]
Colin and I met with one of their members today. They would like to make a U-joint yoke, either as a green sand Al casting, or more preferable out of titanium. We are working on getting a CAD model from them and seeing which option will be best/feasible for their application and our capabilities.

They are still working through designs, but we may also have the opportunity to cast their gear box again (so exciting!!). Photos below show our 2015 work with the Baja team!
[cid:fb6361ef-3f69-4573-a2fb-378596349092]

2. AFS Speaker Awards: The Central Ohio AFS chapter would like us to cast their speaker awards! These will be awarded to each speaker at their monthly meetings. The photo below shows our design. Dan and Larry Burgel are working on updating the lettering so that it will be castable. Since the inside of the pour cup on the award is hollow, we will need to make a core box for this casting. We would like to run Magma simulation when we have the final design to ensure the design will work before we make the pattern. This will be a fun and challenging opportunity!
[cid:e59c9327-b4a7-42ff-92c0-401c622a4266]

3. Texnikoi Plaques: Texnikoi would like to have plaques made, which they give to all of their new members. As you have probably seen in the foundry, they have a current pattern (TNK pattern with 6 plaques per mold). They would like to create a new pattern for the plaques, and we will be helping them to determine whether or not this is feasible with the time frame they have. We have let them know that we are happy to help, whether that be casting the old pattern or helping to fabricate the new one.

I will keep you all posted as more information comes in on these projects, including how you can be involved! I hope you as excited as I am about these awesome opportunities!

Best,

[1457591741436_signature.png]
Tori Hicks
Vice-Chair | American Foundry Society OSU Chapter
College of Engineering Materials Science and Engineering
Mobile: 330-858-1563 | hicks.462 at osu.edu